amanco.jpg (3407 bytes)   amanco.jpg (3385 bytes)

 Amanco 2 1/4 HP Hired Man

Made by The Associated Manufacturers Co. Waterloo, Iowa

I have just purchased (Jan 2005) from Ebay a 2.1/4 hp Amanco Hired Man. I have not got it home yet but watch this space for more details.

This is a 1923-4 Low tension ignition, Hit-N-Miss Engine.

OK, I have got the engine home now and whilst it is sort of ready to Rally, there are a few mechanical things that need attention.

The oiler needs a good clean out as I can't get it to drip successfully, the mag gears need shimming as there is a lot of play in them and I really need to put it on larger wheels to clear the winch in my Land Rover, question is, do I make a new trolley.....or re hash the old one.....watch this space.

OK, big decision based on my overall dissatisfaction with many aspects of the previous restoration so I have decided to start from scratch. I have made a start on the new trolley (see pic below), stripped the engine and inspected all the parts

The mains, little and big end are fine ( there is a little lateral movement in the mains but nothing to worry about, I will maybe be able to take it up by removing a shim under the caps), rings and bore seem OK however the valves are quite "pocketed". I intend ordering some, along with a few other bits from Ed Deis at www.hitnmiss.com in the States. I am a bit baffled as to how to remove the Mag side flywheel as there appears to be a shoulder in the flywheel groove stopping the removal of the key, see pictures below, any ideas?

I will add to this as the restoration proceeds for anyone who is interested.

 

A view of the engine as it was purchased Another view And another And one more
This is a picture from Ebay of the the engine as it was purchased And another Another view, And yet one more
New trolley in the making Amanco crankcase Flywheels, crankshaft and Cylinder/Hopper Close up of the end of the crank
The basics of the new trolley with one coat of Rosewood stain The Crankcase ready for stripping and repainting I cannot see how to remove the Mag side flywheel, see next picture Here is the end of the crank with a shoulder in the key groove? how do I get the key out?
The more or less completed trolley Primed parts The flywheels and crank primed This is a "fitting" to make sure the flywheels do not hit the trolley
I did not like the rosewood stain so I sanded it back to bare wood and treated it with some Colron  "Wood Dye"  which produced a satisfactory result, then four coats of International Yacht varnish. Trolley is now finished with the exception of the Tank mount. The Crankcase, barrel and various parts, sand blasted, primed/undercoated with "Japlac" primer/undercoat. Same treatment for the crank and flywheels however I will polish up the flywheel rims as they were originally but this is best done when the engine is running. This is a "fitting" to make sure the flywheels do not hit the trolley wheels.....they don't.....just.
The crankcase with first topcoat of "Japlac" enamel. Some of the smaller parts with first topcoat. THe Crankcase now bolted to the trolley and flywheels/crank put in place And from the other direction, painting the flywheels is so much easier on the crankcase as you can turn the whole lot easily
The crankcase with first topcoat of "Japlac" enamel. This is excellent hard wearing paint and relatively petrol proof, only problem is the lack of colour range. The original colour is a shade more of a Burgundy but this will probably fade a bit over time. Some of the smaller parts with first topcoat. The Crankcase now bolted to the trolley and flywheels/crank put in place And from the other direction, painting the flywheels is so much easier on the crankcase as you can turn the whole lot easily

I ordered the head gasket, Ignitor gasket and carb gasket from hit-n-miss.com in the states along with a new inlet and exhaust valves, a piece of steel to make a new exhaust pushrod along with a new roller for the pushrod and new valve springs. The piston, little end, big end and mains were all in good condition, just needing a bit of shimming for a perfect "no play" fit.

I am painting the engine as I go along with the restoration and there will be a fair bit more stopping and painting before I am happy....Amanco never were renowned for good castings !!!

Another shot from the front, next job is the cylinder head Another picture after another coat of paint Another view "so far"
Took some time to shim the main bearings and there is no play at all. Added the barrel with piston and Con Rod and again shimmed the big end, perfect. Another shot from the front, next job is the cylinder head Another picture after another coat of paint Another view "so far"

Bit of a disaster when I got it running for the first time, it ran OK till I put water in it when I found it leaked profusely from the head gasket. I thought the surfaces were flat but I was wrong, so off with the head and a trip to the engineers to get it milled.

Getting there now, governor assembled and working Mag on and timed. That's better, cylinder head and carb assembled and fitted. I have made, fitted and stained the tank mounts, next job is to varnish them. Nearly finished, (no transfers yet) This was the second test run since re-assembly Another shot of the engine running
Getting there now, governor assembled and working Mag on and timed. That's better, cylinder head and carb assembled and fitted. I have made, fitted and stained the tank mounts, next job is to varnish them. Nearly finished, (no transfers yet) This was the second test run since re-assembly Another shot of the engine running
On the Rally field and running well
On the Rally field and running well

Back to Top of Page

Back Stationary Engine Homepage